How to Grow A Youtube Channel Post 5 04-04-17
I’m setting off on a journey to document all of my steps, experiments, theories, victories, and mistakes of growing two new youtube channels from scratch to 100,000 subscribers each.
I’m not exactly new to youtube myself, but by no means would I call myself an expert or even an experienced youtuber. I have had a couple of “viral” videos in the past on my personal channel, amounting to a current total of only 623 subscribers and 827,133 Views spread mainly across 3 videos, the largest getting 369,563 views.
My personal channel is years old and not something I consistently build. However, I am a business owner and see an incredible opportunity to make money and gain incredible amounts of exposure through Youtube’s platform and thus have begun this journey to build 2 separate channels @limitlessnorth and @elevatedclothing up to a substantial position on youtube.
In my efforts, I will document for you every step that I take, every dollar I spend, every mistake I make, and every victory I experience. The hope is that we can all walk away with a replicable guide to successfully building and growing a youtube channel, and that my journey as an entrepreneur will help your’s. As they say, learn from others mistakes, and realize that success leaves clues.
Without further adeau, we’re on to post #5 of growing a youtube channel to 100,000 subscribers.
Theory I’m Testing:
1) By posting consistent content on each channel, I believe Youtube will begin to rank the channel as more important and relevant on it’s platform. Therefore, I am building up to posting around 1 video each day for both accounts.
I haven’t been as consistent with @elevatedclothing as I have with @limitless north, and that’s partly because of what I’m building on the backend of both companies at this time.
What I’m Learning: I’ve noticed that both channels are growing slowly. I’m averaging between 20 – 40 organic daily views on Limitless North at this time.
2) I will use Fiverr gigs to drive traffic to my youtube videos in order to gain vies and exposure and thus get each video and my channels as a whole ranked higher on youtube.
What I’m Learning: Most gigs on fiverr are fake and don’t actually get you real views and promotions. I’ve tried a ton of different gigs and am slowly figuring out which ones are legit and which ones simply provide automatic views. I don’t believe that simply getting your view count up in a “fake” way will do much to build your channel. The only views that really count are from real exposure, getting real views and real exposure through leveraging other’s social media and networks. Most gigs on fiver say they provide you with “real views” but in fact they come from bots. The trick is trying a bunch of different gigs, documenting the benefit to each individual video, and recognizing which gigs actually push your content out to a real audience and subscriber base. This can be seen by real engagement on my channel, i.e. new subscribers, likes, comments, and even the youtube ad earnings per videos. Fake views leave the earnings at or near $0.00 while real viewers begin to register.
– One of my gigs from last post actually brought in significant ad revenue on my channel. I’ve thus went back to test a few more videos with the same gig as well as a few new gigs. I’m looking for any promotion method that actually exposes my videos to a real audience.
3) Engage With Similar Youtube Channels Audience: As with any social network, youtube works best when you are active on the platform and engage with others. By identifying a few key channels that produce content similar to mine, and then engaging with users who comment on their videos, I expect that I can begin to pull an audience for myself. The key is to actually add value and engage with other users in relevant video’s comment sections.
So far I haven’t spent a lot of time on this approach because I’m testing other theories and want to make sure that the results for each action I take are measurable to gauge what is profitable and what is not for growing a youtube channel and gaining new subscribers/getting more engagement.
4) Create Playlists For My Content: Aside from ranking each video on your channel, Youtube allows you to create and rank playlists for keywords as well. By finding highly viewed influential videos similar to yours and creating a playlist around a specific topic, you can include your video in the mix and thus draw views to your video while gaining credibility.
So far I’ve only created one playlist: How to Wake Up Early 5AM Club
Already I’ve noticed new views coming to my video, so creating playlists around key content is incredibly beneficial for you.
I need to do this with each specific topic, I just haven’t spent the time to do it yet.
– I am making a series of videos called “Millionaire Success Habits” which I will put into their own playlist and will hopefully cause viewers to explore the whole series.
– Additionally, I plan on spending a day identifying new topics for videos by searching youtube for influential videos on specific keywords that I’m exploring. I can then film my video and pair it with the top 4-6 videos for that keyword in a playlist.
5) Increase Views And Audience Loyalty By Adding Annotations And Video Cards To All Of My Videos: Oftentimes viewers will find themselves engaged with your video and want to know what else you have. If you spoon feed it to them through annotations throughout your video and video cards at the end of each video, they will love you for it and click on more of your content. This will increase view count on all of my videos by encouraging viewers to watch more of my content and check out the next videos.
Summary of last Post:
Since our last “How To Grow A Youtube Channel” post I’ve tested a few theories, uploaded new youtube videos for each channel, cataloged analytics and stats, and taken a lot of action. This is a quick summary for you to see the exact and specific steps I take with each channel on my journey to 100,000 youtube subscribers.
1) Subscribers: 851
2) Total Views: 65,152
3) Monthly Views: 6,115
4) Total Videos: 59
Thoughts: I filmed a handful of new videos for Limitless North and will return to the 1 video per day routine with this channel. I have seen that I am getting on average 20 – 40 youtube video views per day organically without promotion. That’s progress, but not very impressive. I need to create more playlists, add more videos with specific keywords, and do some additional types of promotion to get action and build my subscriber base.
I noticed that one of my promotions from last post actually gave me an organic real return on my video, so I have submitted 2 more videos to that promotion, and I am testing a few other videos with new gigs as well. I am now looking for any fiver gig that says, “promote your video to social media audience.” We’ll see how many of them turn out to be authentic.
I want to begin doing instagram live videos on my @limitlessnorth instagram account to drive that audience base to my youtube channel to subscribe. I also want to experiment with more youtube live videos because youtube gives them priority and more authority in ranking. The only problem I’m running into is a poor internet connection in my studio where I film, and it makes it virtually impossible to do youtube live stream out there. I’ll have to problem solve and think up a good solution to this.
I am also posting my videos on my Facebook page for Limitless North. I have not posted anything publicly on my personal Facebook profile as I’m not yet ready to show family and friends what I’m working on until I have all of the details ironed out. I would, however, recommend that you do that and promote to your family and friends first, as they are a captive audience to help you build views, subscribers, and momentum for your ranking.
Videos Posted/Fiver Gigs Used and Summary:
1) My 2017 Goals Goal Setting And Massive Action
Fiver Promotion: @awais07
Results: 1,768 views, 20 likes, 0 comments, 2 added subscribers, $3.66 Revenue
Thoughts: Actual Ad Revenue showed up, so I would buy this gig again as it feels more authentic.
2) Make 2017 Your Best Year Yet: Have An Amazing Life – Limitless North
Fiver Promotion: @awais07 Premium $20 Gig
Results: 3,259 Views, 32 Likes, 0 Comments, 0 Subscriber Added, $3.66 Revenue
Thoughts: Actual Ad Revenue showed up, and it was about double that of the regular $5 gig. So even though the premium gig from @awais07 got me double the views and double the ad revenue, I spent 4 times the amount. I’d be better off sticking to the standard $5 gig and running it multiple times. Looking at the results I still feel like this is fake traffic for the most part, it’s certainly not a real, legitimate audience watching and engaging with my videos.
3) Millionaire Success Habits: Stay On Point, Create Energy, Be Incredibly Effective
Fiver Promotion: @youtubeb
Results: 5,048 Views, 91 Likes, 8 Comments, 9 Subscribers Added, $0.03 Revenue
Thoughts: Great for views and numbers, but very clearly staged results given the $0.03 ad revenue.
4) Progress Is Where Success Both Starts and Ends
Fiver Promotion: @weformat
Results: 34 views, 3 likes, 0 comments, 0 added subscribers, $0.01 ad revenue
Thoughts: I took a more organic approach with this promotion, choosing someone who had a real but small audience. It didn’t yield many results obviously.
5) From Struggle to Success, Confusion to Prosper
Fiver Promotion: @raymond_usa
Results: 217 views, 4 likes, 0 comments, 0 added subscribers, $0.24 ad revenue
Thoughts: Decent gig, it gave some real engagement, but I’ll pass and try something else next time.
GOOGLE ADWORDS CAMPAIGN:
I started running a few Google Adwords campaigns for my videos. I just picked a general audience in the US. The results are as follows:
1) Millionaire Success Habits: Stay On Point, Create Energy, Be Incredibly Effective $5/day
Start: 4,949 Views, 10 Comments, 91 Likes, 0 Dislikes.
End Results: 121 views added. 42.61% view rate. $.08 CPV. $9.57 spent.
2) Focus: The Success Habit of Bill Gates And Warren Buffet $5/day
Start: 1,200 Views, 0 Comments, 0 Likes
End: 151 views added. 15.83% view rate. $.07 CPV. $10.59 spent.
3) Is Hard Work The Answer? Working Smarter Not Harder – Limitless North $5/day
Start: 10 Views, 2 Comments, 2 Likes.
End Results: 295 views added. 40.41% view rate. $.06 CPV. $18.04 spent.
3) Your Network Is Your Net Worth $5/day
Start: 11 Views, 2 Comments, 2 Likes.
End Results: 304 views added. 17.94% view rate. $.06 CPV. $18.07 spent.
Thoughts: Running Ads on youtube is a great opportunity to reach an audience and drive traffic to your landing pages, etc… At this point I’m just experimenting with getting views and subscribers, but soon I hope to be very intentional about running specific videos telling an audience to go to my landing pages and sign up. This will dramatically build my list and also drive traffic to my offers. More information on this to follow.
1) Subscribers: 39
2) Total Views: 22,700
3) Monthly Views: 1,274
4) Total Videos: 22
Thoughts: I only published a couple of videos on this channel between posts 3 and 4 because I’m currently building a new website to launch new product for Elevated Clothing. Because of this, I’m holding off until the site is built and the product is available before I blast out promotional videos for each piece.
Additionally, I was testing the theory of adding subscribers via “Sub 4 Sub” apps with Limitless North and I wanted to compare and contrast to see what the rate of growth was for each channel while implementing certain strategies.
I will be picking up momentum on this channel soon.
Videos Posted/Fiver Gigs Used and Summary:
1) Swedish Wakeboarding – Christian Forssten Svensk Athlete – My Naga Elevated Clothing
Fiver Promotion: No gig used yet.
Results: 5 views, 0 Likes, 0 Comments, 0 Added Subscribers.
2) Elevated Double Layer Streetwear Tall Tee
Google Adwords Promotion. $5/day
Results: 539 views added. 24.47% View rate. $0.06 CPV. $34.09 Spent.
3) Elevated Clothing: Double Layer Tee – Custom Manufacturing
Google Adwords Promotion. $5/day
Results: 66 views added. 23.11% View rate. $0.07 CPV. $4.23 Spent.
So what do you think? Where are you at in your process so far, and do you have any tricks you’d like to share? Leave A Comment Below.